Reasons Wood Fence May Warp, Shrink, and more
Your wood fence is likely warping, twisting, moving, shrinking, and cracking due to changes in the moisture content of the wood. Wood naturally absorbs and releases moisture surrounding it based on how humid or dry the environment is, leading to warping, twisting, shrinking, and cracking. Each of these warps from the moisture absorption and release could have impacts on the integrity of the fence and necessitate repairs or reconstruction. To help reduce the risk of this type of warping and cracking, make sure to seal your fence with a waterproof sealant to help reduce the amount of moisture the wood fence in Murfreesboro, TN, will absorb, and make sure to regularly inspect the fence and repair any damage as quickly as possible to further reduce the risk of serious warping.
There are a number of reasons why your wood fence may be warping, twisting, moving, shrinking, and cracking. Some of the most common causes include:
- Moisture: Wood is a natural material that absorbs and releases moisture. If your fence is exposed to too much moisture, it can swell and warp. If it is exposed to too little moisture, it can shrink and crack.
- Sunlight: The sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage wood, causing it to fade, crack, and warp.
- Wind: Strong winds can put a lot of stress on a fence, causing it to warp, twist, and move.
- Insects and pests: Insects and pests, such as termites and carpenter ants, can damage wood, causing it to weaken and crack.
- Poor installation: If your fence is not installed properly, it is more likely to warp, twist, move, shrink, and crack.
If your wood fence is warping, twisting, moving, shrinking, and cracking, there are a few things you can do to fix it.
- Repair any damage: If the damage is minor, you may be able to repair it yourself. If the damage is more severe, you may need to hire a professional.
- Treat the wood with a preservative: A preservative can help to protect the wood from moisture, sunlight, insects, and pests.
- Reinstall the fence properly: If the fence is not installed properly, you may need to reinstall it.
By following these tips, you can help prevent your wood fence from warping, twisting, moving, shrinking, and cracking.
Quality Fence & Deck also offers the following fence & Deck Services below: